Sunday, December 11, 2011

some postpartum thoughts

-Wow, food tastes so good. all. the. time.

-Baby hiccups are less annoying with baby on the outside. Now they're quite endearing.

-I am so grateful Amelia is calm. She eats and sleeps well and is not much of a spitter. I have several adorable burp cloths that won't get extensive use, but it's worth not having to do 30 loads of laundry a week.

-I missed you, skinny jeans. Someday I will even be able to button you again.

-How am I going to survive after Kyle's parents leave? My kids are up before 6am these days.

-But not Amelia! Is she supposed to be sleeping this much? Babies are so easy. Well, easy babies are easy.

-New fave article of clothing: spanx!

-Why do Mom Larsen's molasses cookies taste so good? No really. Zero self-restraint when it comes to these. They make a great breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack. Not OR snack. And.


-Look what I made last night! Kjerstin and Mom made the snowflakes. I'm so pleased we got this done before Christmas so Santa can leave lots of goodies for Amelia to share with me. Thanks, Santa! The rest of our stockings can be seen at the end of this post.




-I love church time. I'm not there, of course, but everyone else is and I'm enjoying my three hours of quiet alone time.

-It's so nice to have my body back to myself. I can walk, sleep on my back, put a child on my lap, hug Kyle, hold pee all day, get up unassisted, etc.

-It's Christmastime around here! Usually that means I'm overextending myself through crafts, service projects, treat baking, gift shopping, etc. This year I'm just focusing on loving this baby and the rest of my family. That's been real nice.

-Perhaps I'm still just running on adrenaline and when the sleep deprivation catches up to me I'll feel differently, but at least for now, I really don't mind waking up even at odd hours to the sound of little grunts and puffs and the sight of her little arms stretching all the way to her earlobes, mouth wide open and turning toward the sound of my voice. We love each other, little Minguh and me.

P.S. Here are my favorite photos taken from the hospital. Well, only if by favorite I mean worst pictures of me since the Great Chemical Burn of 2010.

Here I am looking really vexed that I've been relegated to laboring in the ER waiting room.

Here I am looking really vexed that I just had a baby. Or maybe just not fancying the idea of having my picture taken thirty seconds after giving birth.

Here is one of the many reasons that I wanted out of that hospital asap! Supposedly this entree was baked fish, but I took one bite of that white stuff down by the warm, soggy lemon slices and honestly couldn't tell if it was overcooked cauliflower, chewy mashed potatoes, or indeed fish. The only part I ended up eating was the plain piece of kale. Yes, I was that desperate.

Hospital food is a funny thing. Every single meal was kind of gross and disappointing, but I was still so excited every time room service knocked and brought in a tray. Recovering from childbirth plus those nausea-inducing hormones finally gone makes for one hungry Tiff!


6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Tiff, congrats on another beautiful baby! Love that you named her Amelia (that's my sister-in-law's name, and I think it's a good one!). Luke and I agree that you look like you just stuck a basketball under your shirt in that first pic. I'm glad the delivery went well (enough), and that you're enjoying your newest addition. I'm so happy for you :D

Anonymous said...

Haha so true! I for one didn't think the hospital food was too terrible- but I didn't have the fish either:) glad you are feeling more like yourself- I always got that excitement of my OWN body again too! Oh and I can't believe you made a stocking and flowers when you just delivered AND have 4 kids!!! How did you even find time???

Heather said...

I think I need to come see you. I've been kinda bummed lately that every one around me is having their babies ... but me. Maybe it would help if I held yours for a minute. I'm glad you are feeling fantastic. :)

Kirk and Jamie said...

Tiff I had to leave a comment on this post because it made me so happy to think of things to look forward to. This pregnancy has been kinda hard and reading about all the wonderful things afterwards, like enjoying food again, made me happy. So thanks :) And congratulations - she is beautiful.

sara said...

I love the stocking. So cute! Good hospital pictures, although I secretly think you didn't really have a baby in that belly. You must have forgotten to take a picture in the waiting room and went back with a basketball under your shirt.
I'm glad you get 3 hours of alone time once a week. Is it possible to re-charge your spirit by skipping church? Is that one of those oxymorons?
I'm glad you're feeling better and eating better. Horay for not being pregnant!

Karrot Soup said...

In fact, your vexed experiencing transition in the lobby photo is not only svelte but also chic -- I think your maternity clothing is more stylish than my regular clothing. Beautiful, and good job.