Saturday, May 01, 2010

It happened again...

but unlike that old time, this time it was on purpose.


I'm trying to look like Rory. (wishful thinking, I know)

And Mish (but I don't have a pic of her new bangs yet).

And also, our stake had a women's conference this week and I attended classes about emergency preparedness, family finances, and prioritizing life's demands. Lots of room for improvement. Still, the resounding message I took away from the evening is to relax, and simply be okay with however I happen to be doing and whoever I happen to be. Can I just say that, in a world that cuts women only a little slack for falling short of perfection (which is still more slack than we cut ourselves), I am so very grateful to know that what I'm doing is enough. Who I am is enough. There will always always always be countless people better than me in whatever area I'm choosing to focus on, and that could be quite discouraging if I didn't already know that their awesomeness doesn't make a difference to me. Like my fa reminds, there is enough room in heaven for us all.

So dirty laundry is spilling out of every closet in my house. So I yelled at my kids today. So I don't like my nose. So I'm too cynical. So I covet people with a backyard and artistic ability and a baby that sleeps. So I wish I were funnier, smarter, skinnier, and sweeter. Doesn't mean I'm not making it to heaven. I'll try to be better. And that's perfection enough.

8 comments:

Kirk and Jamie said...

I tried to do the Rory bang a few years ago and they definitley did not turn out as cute as yours. Way to go, bangs are such a brave thing to do.

Anonymous said...

I totally dig your bangs and your old stomping grounds. You're an awesome mom and person. I want to be like you when I grow up.

Karrot Soup said...

I love that we'll see you in not too long...and that I'll recognize you when we do! I'm not going to be that brave, but way to go.

blaine and michelle said...

Beauty. I remember a few years ago when I wanted to look like Rory (or Anne Hathaway in the Devil Wears Prada). Then I realized that blunt bangs + curly hair = bad news. But I think they look just lovely on you. You're even cuter than rory.

sara said...

I seriously was thinking to myself just this morning that I don't like my nose... maybe if I had your bangs it would be cuter!
Way to be ok with how you are!

Amy said...

Whatever . . . you are way prettier than Rory with or without bangs. Thanks for being such a great example to me. I think you are awesome and always - enough.

Joe and Christie said...

Love the bangs, T!
You have got it all--hubby, kiddies, beauty, brains, boundless talent, and now--rockin' bangs. =)

Marilyn said...

The bangs are super cute. And, who could be prettier, funnier, smarter, or skinnier than you? But, compating ourselves to others is, like you said, a complete waste of time and emotional energy. God made us so we must be okay just the way we are.